TY CAMINO SCHOOL TOUR 2019
Our TY students are travelling on the Camino in April (23rd to 30th, 2019). We will walk 115km to make sure we get the ‘Compostela’ and get our Camino passports stamped! This will be an enormous achievement for the group and students in TY but more than that – it will be an adventure and an experience they will remember and recount for years to come.
Please check that child’s passport is in date for the duration of the trip
- October 2018 – students return form with deposit payment (via Way2Pay) to Ms Nolan if interested in travelling.
- February – Final payment deadline (Balance of €300 due before Feb 22nd, Link sent to parents end of Jan 2019)
- March – Practice walking and packing!
- April 15th 2019 – Easter holidays
- April 23rd – Departure of buses from school for airport
- April 30th – Arrival of buses back to school!
- May 1st – rest day for all TY students
- May 2nd – All TY return to school
The group will complete the last 115km of the Way of St. James (Camino de Santiago) walking from the village Sarria to Santiago over the week. Each day they will depart after breakfast at their lodging (mostly dorms and hostels) and walk with a small backpack while their luggage is transported by bus to the next lodging. We all stop together for a picnic lunch which is provided to each student in the morning. We will continue then to our destination, arriving in the afternoon in time for a siesta before dinner. We all eat together and play some games in the evenings while we treat our sore feet to a well deserved rest.
Breakfast/Lunch and Dinner included each day.
- How to prepare?
- Practice your spanish! A few useful Camino phrases can be found here.
- Break in your shoes! Do not turn up with brand new runners on the plane… you will blister – so soften them up by doing some hill walking well in advance. You don’t need heavy boots—a decent pair of good walking runners( with ankle support – not a flimsey pair of NB/nike etc.). Remember, your feet will sweat, a lot, so think about breathable footwear and decent socks.
- Start some regular walking – maybe a few times a week – get out and get walking in your Camino shoes.
- Do some research!
- What to bring with you?
- Don’t pack too much!!! One small suitcase (max 10kg cabin baggage with aerlingus and no liquids over 100ml) and a small backpack for everyday. The suitcases will be taken by bus each day to our next accommodation and we will just travel with the small backpack so make sure it has wide straps and is comfortable to wear.
- There are loads of lists on the internet, have a look at a few and you will easily get the idea of what to bring.
- Recommended list of essentials from Galway Tour company HillWalk Tours available here
The main message from last year was… You can’t have too many socks or compede plasters!! Best brand as recommended by all was 1000walks socks – a small robust backpack was the business for everyone and a light rain jacket was a must!
Please ring the office if there is any issue regarding payments.
|April 23rd||Meet at school 7.30am. Depart for Dublin for 1pm flight to Santiago.
Bus transfer from Santiago/Porto Airport to reach Sarria (2 hours)
Welcome evening meal at a local Restaurant in SarriaAccommodation : Albergue Monasterio La Magdalena
|April 24th||Sarria – Portomarín
22.4 kmAccommodation: Ferramenteiro Hostel
|April 25th||Portomarín – Palas de Rei
25 kmAccommodation Albergue San Marcos
|April 26th||Palas de Rei – Arzúa
28.8 kmAccommodation Albergue Via Lactea (Arzúa)
|April 27th||Arzúa – Pedrouzo
19.1 kmAccommodation Albergue Cruceiro de Pedrouzo
|April 28th||Pedrouzo – Santiago
Breakfast – Picnic lunch – Arrival to Santiago
Guided Visit of Santiago
Tapas dinner in Santiago´s Old QuarterAccommodation Albergue La Salle (Santiago de Compostela)
|April 29th||Daytrip to Finnesterre Accommodation Albergue La Salle (Santiago de Compostela)|
|April 30th||Breakfast and then transfer to Santiago airport.
Arrive Dublin approx 7pm and transfer by bus to school approx 9.30pm.
Share stories, relax, show off your well earned blisters and sleep soundly!
Wed May 1st – Sleep in and enjoy a rest day.Thurs May 2nd – All TY students back to school